Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Old Wives Tales Debunked


While I was pregnant is was fun to hear predictions of boy vs. girl based on old wives tales. Now that we now know Kiddo is indeed a sweet little girl named Hannah, I thought it would be interesting to look at some of those tales and see how they fared in our case.

They say: If you have severe morning sickness, you'll have a girl. Mild or absent morning sickness and it's a boy.
I say: Although there were a few days when saltines and sour patch kids tasted better than real food, I only remember feeling really yucky one day. Oh, and one evening out on the boat. Not so fun.
Result: Busted.

They say: If the baby's heart rate is above 140 bpm, it's a girl. Below 140 is a boy.
I say: Little stinker was always right at 140, or at 138 one time, 142 the next.
Result: Who knows?

They say: If you're carrying low and like a basketball, it's a boy. High and like a watermelon, it's a girl.
I say: You've seen the pics...definitely more basketball like (or medicine ball or all the NIFS'ers)
Result: Busted.

They say: Sweet cravings = girl, Sour cravings = boy.
I say: No cravings = no definitive result. I guess I craved ice cream, but that's a usual thing whether I'm pregnant or not. Does that count??
Result: True? Maybe??

They say: A rounder face during pregnancy and an increase in an acne and you'll have a girl.
I say: No change either way.
Result: Busted.

They say: If you have dreams about a specific gender, you'll actually have the opposite gender.
I say: I only had one dream about the baby. In that dream we were actually having a puppy, not a baby. Silly Kiddo.
Result: Inconclusive, but at least it was a human baby.

They say: If you only have one name picked out for a specific gender, you're more likely to be carrying that gender. Lots of names to pick from and the baby's probably not that gender.
I say: We only had one name for a girl, but a few to choose from for a boy.
Result: True! And we're in trouble if our next one is a girl too.

They say: Mom's know 71% of the time whether it's a boy or girl.
I say: I had no clue. Thought she was a girl up until Christmas then changed my mind and stuck with boy until the end.
Result: True!

Final Results: True: 3/8; Busted: 3/8; Inconclusive: 2/8.

In other words, based on these tales, there's about a 50% chance the baby would have been a girl, and a 50% chance of a boy. Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. Just thought you should know, You and Hannah are part of my daily routine. Check the email, check on Sarah and her baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Lauren. I check your blog before I check my school email. Makes sense! I love the second picture, her smile is so big. I thought she was a girl all along, well, because I wanted her to be a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww, thanks you two! glad that you guys are part of our lives. thank for the girly vibes, Davis. Little girls are so much more fun than little boys!

    ReplyDelete